Erith taxi attacker jailed

PUBLISHED: 18:20 15 September 2010

Mark Emery

Mark Emery


A thug has been locked up for four years after threatening to cut the throats of two taxi drivers as he robbed them.

Mark Emery, of Sun Court, Erith, blew the cash on drink and kebabs after carrying out attacks in Dartford and Slade Green, Maidstone Crown Court heard on Thursday.

Having previously pleaded guilty to the offences in July, he received four years imprisonment for each, to run concurrently.

Investigating officer Detective Constable Simon Williams said: “Both victims have been left affected by what Emery subjected them to when they were out working.

“They both have worries they didn’t have before the attacks and feel uneasy at times doing a job they enjoy and never used to feel uneasy about doing.

“One is worried about what will happen when Emery is released and fears he may go back to this sort of violent crime and leave another driver fearing for his life and unable to do their job with the same enjoyment as they once did.”

The court heard that at about 10pm on April 30, Emery called an Erith-based taxi company to pick him up from his home address to take him to a nightclub in Dartford.

While driving down West Hill, Emery asked the 44-year-old driver to pull over. Once they had come to a stop, he pulled a kitchen knife from his pocket and held it to the driver’s throat and then fled with £200.

Emery then made off down West Hill, leaving the driver, who lives in Gillingham, with a cut to his thumb, caused when he tried to get the knife away from his neck.

He was arrested on May 1 and having confessed to officers on the way to North Kent Police Station, he then showed them where he had thrown the purse and knife.

Police investigations led them to believe he had committed a similar robbery on April 24 in Slade Green.

The court heard Emery held a broken bottle to the neck of a 34-year-old driver and demanded money as he threatened to kill him after the driver asked for a £3.50 fare.

His victim sustained a small cut from the bottle as he handed over £150.

Although both victims have returned to work, one feels uneasy picking up youngsters from nightclubs and the other has concerns working past midnight.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bexley Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Bexley Times