Expelled South London Healthcare Trust gynaecologist on full pay
PUBLISHED: 09:26 11 July 2013 | UPDATED: 09:28 12 July 2013
A gynaecologist expelled from South London Healthcare Trust is receiving full pay, it has been revealed.
The treatment of 66 women who have had operations or other planned theatre procedures from Dr Rod Irvine is under scrutiny.
The majority of his procedures were carried out at Queen Mary’s Hospital in Frognal Avenue, Sidcup.
Mr Irvine has not undertaken any clinical work since November last year after a sample review of 255 of his patients last August found serious cause for concern in 17 cases and some cause for concern in a further 49.
Dr Chris Palin, the trust’s medical director, said: “Our first consideration is always our patients and that’s why Mr Irvine has been stopped from undertaking clinical practice while concerns are investigated.
“However, due process must be followed. We cannot pre-judge the outcome of this review and therefore Mr Irvine continues to be employed by and paid by the trust.”
The trust has informed the General Medical Council about the investigation and further restrictions have been placed upon his practice.
A staff email was leaked to the Bexley Times yesterday morning but the trust said it was always their intention to tell employees before informing the press.
SLHT declined to reveal the exact details of his pay and do not know how long the investigation will last at this stage.
The trust will be dissolved on October 1 having racked up historic debts of £207million at the end of the last financial year.
Were you treated by Mr Irvine? Call the newsdesk on 0208 477 3858 or email email@example.com.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bexley Times. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.