FIRE: Three rescued from cooking fire in Thamesmead flat

PUBLISHED: 11:34 25 April 2016 | UPDATED: 11:34 25 April 2016



2010 Getty Images

The fire started in a second floor flat

Three people were rescued from a flat fire in Thamesmead on Sunday night.

The flat, on Allenby Road, took damage from the blaze, which started after cooking was left on the stove.

A neighbour heard smoke alarms sounding inside, and called London Fire Brigade.

Arriving on scene, fire crews rescued two men inside the flat and a woman from an adjacent flat.

All three were treated for smoke inhalation on scene.

Plumstead fire station watch manager Steven McKeown said: “You should never leave cooking unattended – if you have to leave the room or the house, turn the heat off.

“In most of the cooking incidents we attend smoke alarms alert someone to call the Brigade and thankfully they were fitted in this case.

“Everyone should have at least one smoke alarm on every level of their home and the safest option is to have those linked together. This will give the earliest warning if there is a fire and give you vital seconds to escape and call 999.”

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bexley Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Latest from the Bexley Times