Four cleared of murder

PUBLISHED: 16:39 13 May 2009 | UPDATED: 16:40 25 August 2010

FOUR men accused of kicking a waiter unconscious and throwing him in the Thames were cleared of murder on Tuesday.

FOUR men accused of kicking a waiter unconscious and throwing him in the Thames were cleared of murder on Tuesday.

Victim Bishal Gurung, 23, was attacked after being wrongly accused of bottling another drinker celebrating the Nepalese New Year.

He was chased along the Embankment by up to 15 men before being forced to the ground and kicked repeatedly in the head.

Three of the gang then threw him into the freezing river, it is claimed.

Bishal Gurung's body was only found two weeks later when it floated to the surface nearby and was spotted by a member of the public.

Six men were accused of murder and violent disorder at the Old Bailey in relation to the incident on April 13 last year.

Following the close of the prosecution case, the judge Timothy Pontius QC ordered that four of them should be cleared of murder due to lack of evidence.

Missan Gurung, 25, of Felixstowe Rd, Abbey Wood, Roman Thapa, 21, of Balgowan St, Plumstead, Sushant Gurung, 22, of Halesowen Rd, Morden and Lav Gurung, 21, Princes Road, Feltham are now accused of violent disorder, a charge they all deny.

Rocky Gurung, 21, of Haig Place, Morden and Kemik Thakali, 20, Legion Court, Morden are on trial for murder and violent disorder.

It is claimed Rocky Gurung, Mr Thakali and a third man not before the court, Arjun Gurung, were responsible for throwing the victim into the water.

They both deny murder.

The judge told the court that the defence case would begin today.

Jurors have heard that trouble had flared at the party on board the Yacht Club, a floating bar by Waterloo Bridge.

Mr Thakali was hit over the head with a bottle during a mass brawl and blamed Bishal Gurung.

Jurors were told that Arjun Gurung fled to Nepal on July 8 last year on a flight from Heathrow via Bahrain.

He was due to return on a flight on September 10, but was not on board when it arrived in the UK.

The trial continues.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bexley Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Bexley Times