Harry Potter actor bar sign atrocity
PUBLISHED: 15:03 11 February 2010 | UPDATED: 17:36 25 August 2010
PARENTS of murdered Harry Potter actor Rob Knox were appalled by a sign put up outside a bar where the 18-yearold was knifed to death saying Valentine s Weekend Massacre . The blunder was blamed on a new member of staff working at the Metro Bar, Sidcup,
PARENTS of murdered Harry Potter actor Rob Knox were appalled by a sign put up outside a bar where the 18-year-old was knifed to death saying "Valentine's Weekend Massacre".
The blunder was blamed on a new member of staff working at the Metro Bar, Sidcup, next to where the teen was killed in May, 2008, just days after filming the Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.
Mum Sally Knox, 51, was told about the sign advertising "Bloody Thursday" under a heart broken in two, and went down to the bar to confront staff and get the sign taken down.
Dad Colin Knox, 56, said the manageress, who had just returned to work after having a baby, sobbed after Rob's mum told her what had happened.
He said: "It was disgusting, I was very angry but things have moved on and been said since it was put up.
"Sally went in on Saturday, approached the lady who runs the bar.
"When Sally told her about the sign the lady was beside herself that it
could have happened and apologised straight away. She didn't have any knowledge of what had been put up on the sign.
"In fact, she started crying. These people were not out to upset our family, so it's come good in the end.
"It did upset us, it shouldn't have happened but they were approached about it and were very sorry.
"As a family we don't have any grievance with the Metro Bar."
He added: "As far as the words used in the sign, Valentine's Day should be about celebrating love, not about massacres.
"I think the idea is based on Bonnie and Clyde to get punters in but I think the word 'massacre' is a bit inappropriate, they shouldn't have used that."
Rob Knox played Marcus Belby in The Half Blood Prince and had a promising career in films ahead of him when he was knifed to death by 21-year-old Karl Bishop.
Bishop was convicted of his murder in March, 2009.
Manager Lee Bentley said: "The first we knew about it was when Sally complained. Obviously it's in terrible taste and we've taken it down. My wife has just given birth so we have both been away.
"I left promotion with a new staff member who wasn't working when Rob was killed."
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bexley Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.