Hospitals pay £6.3m to patient
PUBLISHED: 12:23 20 May 2010 | UPDATED: 17:57 25 August 2010
A MAN has won £6.3 million compensation after doctors failed to diagnose a blood clot which has left him significantly disabled .
A MAN has won £6.3 million compensation after doctors failed to diagnose a blood clot which has left him "significantly disabled".
Andrew Bateman, 45, from Bexleyheath, collapsed at work in November 1999 after suffering an aneurysmal bleed which was not identified by doctors after he complained of a series of severe headaches and bouts of unconsciousness.
The injury reduced Mr Bateman's short-term memory, sense of orientation, and organisational skills, all of which are classic features of frontal lobe brain injury.
Robin Oppenheim QC told the High Court on Tuesday that if the blood clot had been rapidly diagnosed and treated, Mr Bateman might have avoided a second "devastating" bleed a month later.
Mr Bateman sought compensation from Guys and St Thomas' Hospitals and University College London Hospitals.
After the short hearing, a spokesperson for the two foundation trusts said both offered sincere apologies, adding: "The trusts and their clinical staff regret that there was a delay in performing an angiogram, and that as a result Mr Bateman suffered a further haemorrhage.
"The trusts very much hope that the compensation monies will secure Mr Bateman's future and help him with rebuilding his life.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bexley Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.