Hundreds of Erith homes left without power as substation sets alight
PUBLISHED: 13:05 10 November 2017 | UPDATED: 13:05 10 November 2017
UK Power Networks has been informed
An Erith street was filled with smoke this morning, after an electrical fault sparked a fire.
Hundreds of homes were left without power for a matter of minutes due to the blaze.
London Fire Brigade was called to Church Road at 8.42am, but discovered the fire was already out.
A spokesperson from the brigade said the fire had likely burnt itself out before arrival.
Crews remained on scene until 9.39am after notifying UK Power Networks of the blaze.
A spokesperson UK Power Networks said: “A fault developed on a piece of equipment at an electricity substation this morning at 8:39am in the Church Road area of Erith. Engineers quickly restored power to 847 customers in less than two minutes.
“We understand how difficult it is to be without power and apologise for any inconvenience this caused.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bexley Times. Click the link in the orange box below for details.