Search

Kebab owner takes away legal bill

PUBLISHED: 10:15 13 August 2009 | UPDATED: 17:03 25 August 2010

A KEBAB shop manager faces huge legal bills after a High Court victory against his council.

A KEBAB shop manager faces huge legal bills after a High Court victory against his council.

Bexley council took the government's communities department to court after its inspector granted planning permission to George Arslanboga, the manager of Kebab Ye, in Maidstone Road, Sidcup.

This was after council bosses refused to grant retrospective planning consent for the business' change of use from a retail shop, which was then overturned by an inspector, in November last year.

On July 30, deputy judge John Howell QC rejected Bexley council's case, ordering bosses to pay £6,410 towards the Secretary of State's legal costs on top of their own costs of £8,529.

But Mr Arslanboga said he was having a hard time celebrating his victory.

He said: "To be honest it really hasn't sunk in yet because the last three-and-a-half years have been a constant battle and it's very hard to just forget about it.

"The wife and family keep saying I can cheer up now but it's difficult to snap out of it.I've had a heavy weight on my shoulders and it will take some time to go away."

A spokesperson for the council said: "We are extremely disappointed with the High Court's decision.

"We have a responsibility to protect the interests of our residents and people in the area had raised concerns with us about the nuisance this take-away was causing.

"The council takes planning enforcement very seriously and this is why planning enforcement action was taken against Mr Arslanboga - for operating his business in breach of planning control.

"Mr Arslanboga ignored the planning enforcement and stop notices that were served upon him over a period of nearly three years. He continued trading despite receiving two convictions in Bexley Magistrates' Court for breaches of these notices. The council's decision to challenge the inspector's decision reflected, amongst other things, the broader policy implications."

marina.soteriou@archant.co.uk

0 comments

Latest Bexley news

Wednesday, December 12, 2018

A large development in Erith has taken home a top award for regeneration.

Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Since Bexley Council launched its anti-litter campaign earlier this year, 1,000 Bexley residents have now made the commitment to pick up at least one piece of plastic litter a week.

Monday, December 10, 2018

Our reporter Liam Coleman met with the big man before a hectic few weeks.

Monday, December 10, 2018

Crossrail, London’s new east to west railway service, may be delayed even further and could require a £2billion funding boost, Transport for London (TfL) has confirmed.

Monday, December 10, 2018

A faulty filtation system in a fish tank is believed to have caused a fire at a care home in Thamesmead on Sunday (December 9).

Friday, December 7, 2018

Rail travellers are now benefiting from recently completed work to improve access to Erith Station and to enhance the forecourt and station building.

A Bexley man who was suspected in the racist murder of Stephen Lawrence has admitted being a kingpin in a £4 million drugs plot.

Thursday, December 6, 2018

A burglar who stole three cars from homes in Dartford and Bexley has been sentenced to four years imprisonment.

Most read news

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Bexley Times e-edition today
E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Bexley Times twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Show Job Lists

Family Notices 24