Search

Last 9,000 tonnes of ‘disgraceful mess’ at Waste4Fuel site set to be removed, but only when government hands out £1.88million

PUBLISHED: 09:05 24 July 2017 | UPDATED: 09:49 25 July 2017

Waste4Fuel's clearance began in November. Photo credit: Jack Thornton.

Waste4Fuel's clearance began in November. Photo credit: Jack Thornton.

Archant

Wrok began to clear the site in November

Hopes of clearing the final third of the Waste4Fuel site now hinge on government funding, after the council gave final approval to clear what is left of the site on Wednesday.

Work began to clear the 27,000-tonne heap in Orpington, near the Sidcup Bypass, in November last year, with hopes the landfill would be empty by April.

But the discovery of contaminated material in March meant work had to be halted so combusted and melted plastics, along with other carbon-based materials could be disposed of in “a more carefully managed way”.

The revised plan has brought the overall spend on clearing the site up to £4.589million, after original estimates put the overall spend of acquiring and clearing the site at £2.7million, shared between Bromley council and the Environment Agency.

The council’s overall contribution is expected to be around £572,608 under these new works.

On Wednesday, councillors agreed clearance work could start again once the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs forks out the extra £1.88million.

“The council has stuck at this determinedly for many months and we have suffered some considerable disappointments along the way,” said council leader Colin Smith.

“We pledged from the outset to clear the disgraceful mess away and effect an agreeable outcome for local residents and that promise is thankfully and finally now within touching distance of being delivered.”

Around 18,000 tonnes has already been shifted from the land on Cornwall Drive, which had been the council’s estimate for the whole heap before work began.

Cllr Smith expects to confirm the final clearance date “shortly”, with work expected to last around two months, once waste management contractor Veolia gets on site.

He added: “This will be fantastic news for everyone, especially those long suffering nearby residents who I continue to be grateful to for their amazing support, patience and understanding.”

We have approached Defra for comment.

Old Bexley and Sidcup MP James Brokenshire added: “The rubbish mountain at Waste4Fuel has been a blot on the landscape for far too long as well as causing untold problems for local people. I hope this work will be completed quickly.

“Looking to the future however, it is important to see that this never happens again. To that end, I am arranging to meet the Environment Agency to discuss what further steps are needed to prevent what amounts to licensed fly tipping from causing misery to other residents in the future.”

A Defra spokesperson said: “We are working closely with Bromley council to help them clear the entire site of hazardous waste as soon as possible.”

Defra declined to give a specific timeframe on when the money would be sent to the council.

Latest Bexley news

Monday, December 10, 2018

Our reporter Liam Coleman met with the big man before a hectic few weeks.

Monday, December 10, 2018

Crossrail, London’s new east to west railway service, may be delayed even further and could require a £2billion funding boost, Transport for London (TfL) has confirmed.

Monday, December 10, 2018

A faulty filtation system in a fish tank is believed to have caused a fire at a care home in Thamesmead on Sunday (December 9).

Friday, December 7, 2018

Rail travellers are now benefiting from recently completed work to improve access to Erith Station and to enhance the forecourt and station building.

A Bexley man who was suspected in the racist murder of Stephen Lawrence has admitted being a kingpin in a £4 million drugs plot.

Thursday, December 6, 2018

A burglar who stole three cars from homes in Dartford and Bexley has been sentenced to four years imprisonment.

Thursday, December 6, 2018

Officers have made a number of arrests this morning (Thursday, December 6), including in areas of Bexley and Bromley as part of an investigation into violent disorder which occurred on August 25 in the Hounslow area.

Wednesday, December 5, 2018

A Bexley man who was a suspect in the murder of Stephen Lawrence has gone on trial accused of being one of the “ringleaders” of a conspiracy to supply “huge quantities” of cannabis resin.

Most read news

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Bexley Times e-edition today
E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Bexley Times twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Show Job Lists

Family Notices 24