Laughing teen killers kicked man to death

PUBLISHED: 11:57 17 July 2008 | UPDATED: 15:02 25 August 2010

TWO drunken teenagers who laughed like clowns as they punched, kicked and stamped a stranger to death are facing life behind bars.

TWO drunken teenagers who laughed 'like clowns' as they punched, kicked and stamped a stranger to death are facing life behind bars.

Friends Dennis Hind, 18, of Churchbury Avenue, Eltham, and Tutu Kabalika, 19, of Picardy Road, Belvedere, were found guilty of murder at the Old Bailey last Thursday.

They picked on hapless Stephen Miller, 45, as they stumbled home from a party, in Eltham, on August 24 last year.

Miller walked out of his flat on Middle Park Avenue, Eltham, at around 2.30am to get some fresh air because an ear condition made it difficult for him to sleep.

The pair, who had downed vodka, beer and taken cocaine, rained down a string of blows on the victim's head as he lay defenceless on the ground.

Miller pleaded for his life repeatedly shouting 'please stop', but could do nothing to fend off the vicious assault.

Ignoring the screams, Kabalika was seen to land a double-footed stamp on Mr Miller's face.

Hind then followed up with a powerful kick to his head as the two killers laughed at their victim.

They goaded him shouting: "Come on, get up, get up."

When neighbours, who had been woken by the sound of the attack, tried to intervene Kabalika told them: "I don't think he's had enough."

Prosecutor Martin Hicks QC said the killers were like a 'pack of hyenas.'

Witness Patricia McLenahan said: "They seemed to be quite amused by this, like clowns."

The attack was seen by a number of people who were able to identify the killers.

Mr Miller died in hospital a few hours after the attack.

He suffered multiple fractures to the body including a broken shoulder, crushed neck, 15 broken ribs and a broken jaw and severe brain injuries from the assault and never regained consciousness.

When police arrested Hind at his home, he blamed his friend Kabalika for the attack and claimed he tried to stop it.

A blood test at the police station revealed he was still three-and-a-half times over the legal drink-drive limit several hours after the incident and had cocaine in his system.

Kabalika was picked up 36 hours later and even though he had cuts to his hand, he claimed Hind had delivered the fatal blows.

The pair who denied murder, were remanded in custody and will be sentenced next month.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bexley Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Bexley Times