M25 road rage killer Kenneth Noye open prison move REJECTED by Michael Gove to relief of victim’s family

PUBLISHED: 08:06 23 October 2015 | UPDATED: 08:15 23 October 2015

Kenneth Noye

Kenneth Noye

Family of Stephen Cameron thank justice minister and say justice has been done

The family of M25 road rage victim Stephen Cameron say a “huge weight has been lifted from our shoulders” after justice secretary Michael Gove intervened to block a move to an open prison for his killer Kenneth Noye.

The parole board had made a reommendation following a hearing in September that Noye, now 68, should be moved to an open prison. A move seen as a precursor to release.

But last night it was confirmed that was rejected by the Ministry of Justice - and Michael Gove - over fears for public safety.

Noye, who was born in Bexleyheath and lived in West Kingsdown, is serving a life sentence for stabbing to death electrician Stephen Cameron, 21, from Dartford, in a road rage attack on the Swanley slip road of the M25 in 1996.

Mr Cameron’s father Ken told the Sun: “A huge weight has been lifted from our shoulders. We want to thank Mr Gove. We have got justice again for our son.

“He’s never shown any remorse for murdering Stephen. We were first told in November that Noye had applied for parole. Hearings kept getting pushed back, then we were told he was due to be moved.

“The strain has been immense. But now they’ve told him he is staying put.”

Noye had fled the country after the murder and was eventually tracked down to Spain two years later where he was arrested. He was jailed in 2000 with a minimum 16 year term.

Such an intervention by the the secretary of state is rare, with fewer than one per cent of parole board recommendations being turned down over the last five years. A source said around 40 recommendations out of up to 6,000 from 2010 to this year had been rejected by the justice secretary.

A Prison Service spokesman said: “We do not comment on individuals.

“Public protection is our top priority and transfers to open conditions can only be made when we are certain that public safety will not be compromised.”

Two years before killing Mr Cameron, Noye had been released from prison for handling bullion stolen in the Brink’s-Mat robbery.

He stabbed to death police officer John Fordham in January 1985 in the grounds of his Kent home, but was acquitted at trial after claiming he was acting in self-defence.

Most Read

Latest from the Bexley Times

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists