Man avoids jail after sexually assaulting teenage girl on bus

PUBLISHED: 15:33 05 July 2016 | UPDATED: 15:33 05 July 2016

CCTV stills of Farooq

CCTV stills of Farooq


Waheed Farooq, of Plumstead High Street, was given a suspended sentence

A man who sexually assaulted a teenager on a Bexleyheath bus has been handed a suspended sentence.

Waheed Farooq, of Plumstead High Street, was found guilty of assaulting a 14-year-old girl while she travelled on a route 422 bus.

The 23-year-old was identified by CCTV taken from the day of the assault on Tuesday, June 30 2015.

He was charged with sexual assault by touching in October and found guilty after a three day trial at Woolwich Crown Court on June 2 this year.

Last week, Farooq was sentenced at Woolwich Crown Court to six months imprisonment, suspended for two years.

He will remain on the Sex Offenders Register for seven years, and must carry out 160 hours unpaid work requirement on top of a victim surcharge of £80.

Det con Annie Garrard from the Met’s Road and Transport Policing Command said: “Farooq caused distress to a young girl who was innocently going about her day.

“I would like to thank the victim for her bravery in coming forward and the media who assisted in running our appeal.

“Working with our partners at British Transport Police and Transport for London we are determined to tackle sexual offences aboard the transport network and encourage anyone who has been a victim of this type of offence to contact police without delay.”

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bexley Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Latest from the Bexley Times