Man jailed for 15 years over the rape of Bexley woman
PUBLISHED: 18:08 13 September 2013 | UPDATED: 18:08 13 September 2013
A man has been jailed today for 15 years over the rape of a Bexley woman after following her home from a night out.
Frederick Ehouni, 39, targeted his victim after she left The Venue, a nightclub in New Cross, in the early hours of Sunday, February 24.
He was convicted after a seven-day trial at Woolwich Crown Court. He was charged with rape and theft - pleading guilty to theft, but denying he raped the woman.
The 27-year-old had left the club alone and was followed on a nightbus by Ehouni, from the Ivory Coast, who sat next to her and started a conversation.
After a 45 minute bus journey, the defendant insisted on walking his victim home - despite the fact she had told him she didn’t need his help.
Once at her front door, Ehouni forced his way in and attacked the woman in her hallway.
Before leaving, he took her phone to prevent her ringing the police and then ran away. The victim made her way to a nearby petrol station, where the police were called.
Forensic analysis identified Ehouni as the attacker and he was arrested on March 1.
He initially claimed the encounter had been consensual, but eventually admitted he stole her phone to prevent her calling the police.
Det Con Emma Beer said: “Today’s result means that a violent sexual predator has been brought to justice and will safeguard other members of the public from him.
“It will also hopefully go some way to providing some comfort and reassurance to the victim. I would like to commend her bravery in reporting this offence and giving evidence in court.”
Ehouni was also handed a six month sentence for theft, to run concurrently. He will also have to sign the Sex Offenders’ Register for life.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bexley Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.