Man, woman and child flee fire in home
PUBLISHED: 09:31 08 June 2015 | UPDATED: 09:31 08 June 2015
Bonfire had spread to property
Three people fled a maisonette in Welling after a bonfire spread to their home.
A man, woman and child escaped from the maisonette in Hadlow Road on Friday night, having fortunately been alerted to the blaze by their smoke alarm.
Some 21 firefighters from Erith, Bexley, East Greenwich and Eltham were called to the scene at 9.45pm.
Watch manager Stuart Cousins said: “When we arrived I could see a thick plume of black smoke and flames licking up above the roof.
“The bonfire had been lit too close to the property, and had too many objects on it, and due to the wind had spread into the maisonette on the ground floor.”
Crews were able to bring the fire under control within half an hour, but part of the ground floor of the maisonette was damaged.
Mr Cousins added: “We have been called to quite a few bonfires recently. If you’re having a bonfire, make sure you never leave it unattended, and always keep it away from your home, sheds or fences.
“It is also vital that you have at least one smoke alarm on every level of your home and test it regularly.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bexley Times. Click the link in the orange box below for details.