Murder victim hacked to death, Old Bailey told

PUBLISHED: 14:24 17 June 2010 | UPDATED: 18:02 25 August 2010

A MARRIED dock worker drowned in his own blood after being repeatedly stabbed and his throat cut in a brutal knife attack, a court heard.

A MARRIED dock worker 'drowned in his own blood' after being repeatedly stabbed and his throat cut in a brutal knife attack, a court heard.

Kamaljit Singh Kalon, 31, from Sidcup, died after the confrontation outside an ice cream kiosk on the promenade in Gravesend seven years ago.

Jurors at the Old Bailey heard on Tuesday how he was stabbed 33 times in his head, neck and body in front of horrified witnesses.

Mr Kalon, known as 'Bobby' even sustained three bite marks to his arm during the attack on July 10 2003 and was left for dead as his two alleged attackers fled.

Baljinder Singh Kooner, 35, is charged with committing the murder with his cousin Guljinder Singh Gurewal, who pleaded guilty to murder in September 2008.

Mr Kooner, who admits being present at the scene but denies murder, fled abroad but was extradited from Paris in October last year to stand trial.

The court heard how the promenade was packed with witnesses, including young children, when the attack took place.

Prosecutor John Price QC said: "This was a comparatively short, extremely violent and no doubt very distressing event to witness.

"All the more shocking, for it took place in a public place where people were enjoying themselves."

His alleged attackers ran off and left the town in a red Nissan.

Mr Price explained Kooner's wife, Pindy, was close to Mr Kalon, who was also married, and this caused tension between the families.

The alleged trigger for the murder was an incident two days earlier, on July 8, when Mr Kalon was seen to punch Pindy in his car, causing her to need hospital treatment.

Threats were made to Mr Kalon and he agreed to meet Gurewal and a second man, believed to be Kooner, at the promenade. All three are thought to have arrived armed with knives.

continued on page 3


Mr Price said: "Within a matter of minutes one of those three men was left dying on the ground, the victim of multiple stab wounds and his throat having been cut across its width."

Mr Kalon's knife, a green-handled blade from a set in his kitchen, was found in a bin nearby. It is believed he was disarmed during the fight and it was used against him.

His body was seen on CCTV lying on the ground at 8.16pm and he was taken to Darent Valley where he was pronounced dead shortly after 9pm.

Both Gurewal and other independent witnesses have said Mr Kooner was involved in the fatal attack, allegedly holding down Mr Kalon while Gurewal stabbed him.

DNA taken from the bite marks on the victim's body is a match to Kooner, it was said.

Mr Kalon, who worked at the Royal Albert docks, east London, lived with his wife in Sidcup, Kent, with her three children from a previous marriage.

The trial continues.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bexley Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Bexley Times