Search

‘No customer impact’ expected as London Bridge staff go on strike

PUBLISHED: 09:51 08 May 2017 | UPDATED: 09:52 08 May 2017

London Underground

London Underground

Tommaso Tagliaferri

RMT announced the strike last week

Transport for London has told customers there will be “no customer impact” as staff at London Bridge station go on strike today over the sacking of one of their colleagues.

Until 10pm tonight, members of the RMT union at the station will not be challenging any passengers who refuse to produce a ticket, oyster card or bank card.

The union claims one member has been sacked and two others disciplined following a “violent incident” at the station in November.

General Secretary Mick Cash said;“RMT members are solid in their support of the three members at London Bridge who have been subjected to the most appalling miscarriage of justice after a violent incident involving a fare-dodger at the station last autumn.

“The union is well aware that LU have mobilised an expensive and sophisticated scabbing operation that raises serious issues about the safety of the travelling public. We will be monitoring that situation throughout the day and filing reports ‎to the regulator.

“Instead of wasting time and money on bank-rolling a scab army LU should be recognising their duty of care to front-line staff confronted with violent thugs on their stations and supporting out members who have been sacked and victimised as a result of this shocking incident.

“RMT will continue to fight for the sacking and disciplinary sanctions to be lifted. We remain available for talks.”

Brian Woodhead, operations director for London Underground, said: “London Bridge station is open this morning and we are planning that the station remains open as normal throughout the strike action.

“This strike is totally unjustifiable and the version of events given by the RMT union is simply untrue. CCTV footage from the station, taken from a number of angles, shows a member of staff displaying unacceptable conduct when dealing with a member of the public. The member of staff was dismissed following a thorough investigation.

“The offer to the RMT leadership to view the CCTV footage remains open, and we continue to encourage them to see sense and call off their upcoming ballot asking members across the whole network to strike without knowing the full facts.”

Latest Bexley news

Monday, December 10, 2018

Our reporter Liam Coleman met with the big man before a hectic few weeks.

Monday, December 10, 2018

Crossrail, London’s new east to west railway service, may be delayed even further and could require a £2billion funding boost, Transport for London (TfL) has confirmed.

Monday, December 10, 2018

A faulty filtation system in a fish tank is believed to have caused a fire at a care home in Thamesmead on Sunday (December 9).

Friday, December 7, 2018

Rail travellers are now benefiting from recently completed work to improve access to Erith Station and to enhance the forecourt and station building.

A Bexley man who was suspected in the racist murder of Stephen Lawrence has admitted being a kingpin in a £4 million drugs plot.

Thursday, December 6, 2018

A burglar who stole three cars from homes in Dartford and Bexley has been sentenced to four years imprisonment.

Thursday, December 6, 2018

Officers have made a number of arrests this morning (Thursday, December 6), including in areas of Bexley and Bromley as part of an investigation into violent disorder which occurred on August 25 in the Hounslow area.

Wednesday, December 5, 2018

A Bexley man who was a suspect in the murder of Stephen Lawrence has gone on trial accused of being one of the “ringleaders” of a conspiracy to supply “huge quantities” of cannabis resin.

Most read news

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Bexley Times e-edition today
E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Bexley Times twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Show Job Lists

Family Notices 24