Nurse refused my dying wife drugs’

PUBLISHED: 16:01 20 November 2008 | UPDATED: 15:44 25 August 2010

DIED IN PAIN: Marian Coyle.

DIED IN PAIN: Marian Coyle.

A WIDOWER says he still cries himself to sleep more than a year after watching his terminally-ill wife in agony after a nurse refused to give her more medication.


A WIDOWER says he still cries himself to sleep more than a year after watching his terminally-ill wife in agony after a nurse refused to give her more medication.

John Coyle, 61, from Bexleyheath, watched his wife of 40 years writhe in pain after a nurse at Queen Mary's Hospital, Sidcup, (QMS) told him she did not think sedation was necessary, on October 24 last year.

Now the Nursing and Midwifery Council is investigation Mr Coyle's complaint against Nurse Stella Mwansa.

And the General Medical Council is dealing with his complaint against the locum Registrar Dr Mohammed Abdel Gadir Yousif, who was disqualified from working at QMS. Medacs, the agency that supplied Mr Yousif, was made aware of the Trust's concerns. Marion Coyle, 60, was taken to QMS dying from cancer of the shoulder, ribs, spine, pelvis, liver and kidneys.

She was initially given morphine and put on the holistic model of care for the dying - the Liverpool Care Pathway, on October 22.

But the night after a nurse forgot the husband's and son's calls for sedation after they saw her writhing in pain.

And just hours later on the same morning a locum doctor failed to administer any painkillers as required by the Care Pathway.

Mr Coyle was also incorrectly told there was only one doctor on duty in the whole hospital.

He said: "She knew she was dying. She said she didn't mind dying but she didn't want to die in pain and that is what happened.

"I feel I let her down because she was in pain and I watched her being in pain. I feel the whole hospital let her down that night."

The Healthcare Commission upheld Mr Coyle's complaints in May this year saying QMS could have done more to resolve Mr Coyle's complaint.

They made several recommendations about QMS' palliative care which the hospital say they have now implemented.

Mr Coyle said: "It just goes on and on. I just can't get closure on it.

"She was lovely. She wouldn't hurt anybody. She was a great mother.

"Her treatment before that night was fine.

"It was a nightmare. It really was."

A spokesperson for QMS said: "QMS is unable to comment on any individual cases. However, we take all complaints very seriously and act on any recommendations following our internal investigations or Healthcare Commission reviews. We can confirm that in this case we have completed all the actions recommended by the Healthcare Commission."

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bexley Times. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Bexley Times