Search

OAP overcome by smoke

PUBLISHED: 18:18 03 June 2009 | UPDATED: 16:47 25 August 2010

AN ELDERLY woman collapsed after she was overcome by smoke when her toaster caught fire.

AN ELDERLY woman collapsed after she was overcome by smoke when her toaster caught fire. Sidcup fire fighters were called to a home in Edwin Arnold Court at 10.35 last Thursday.

Neighbours were alerted after a lone 80-year-old woman's smoke alarm was set off as heavy smoke billowed from her home.

Fire Fighter Austin, who entered the house with a gas mask, said: "The lady had gone to try and use the phone but never made it. We found her in the lounge unconscious on the floor. If she had been there much longer she may not have made it."

The victim was given oxygen and was conscious when taken to Queen Mary's Hospital, Sidcup.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bexley Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Bexley Times