Olympic past of Bexley’s new borough commander
PUBLISHED: 09:33 24 February 2015 | UPDATED: 09:33 24 February 2015
Chief Superintendent Jeff Boothe will start on Monday
Bexley police have appointed a new borough commander – and he starts next week.
Chief Superintendent Jeff Boothe will join Bexley from the British Transport Police on Monday. He will replace Peter Ayling, who is moving to Westminster.
The 50-year-old, who lives in Croydon, has served with BTP for 24 years, including 12 years with CID. He was deputy senior investigating officer on the Hatfield train crash, and led on projects including the introduction of PCSOs into BTP and police coverage during the Olympics, the Queen’s diamond jubilee and the Notting Hill Carnival.
He said: “I am extremely proud to be joining the MPS family at a time of unprecedented change, and am really looking forward to the challenge of working in Bexley.”
Mr Ayling, who had been borough commander since March 2013, said: “While the opportunity to become borough commander of Westminster is an exciting one, I feel more than a touch of sadness to be leaving Bexley.
“We have achieved a lot and I am proud to say Bexley remains the safest London borough and is enjoying the lowest level of burglary since proper recording began.
“I have been extremely fortunate to have enjoyed the support of so many great officers, members of the community and councillors. My time here will be treasured.
“My sincere thanks go out to all who have helped me along the way - there are too many to mention.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bexley Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.