Patient left on care home floor

PUBLISHED: 16:49 18 March 2009 | UPDATED: 16:19 25 August 2010

A CARE home manager who found a terminally-ill patient abandoned on the floor said she is still haunted by the sadness on the man s face.

A CARE home manager who found a terminally-ill patient abandoned on the floor said she is still haunted by the sadness on the man's face.

Patient A had been left on the floor for nearly two hours by nurse Olawunmi Bakare, 57, after he had fallen out of bed at the Manley Court Nursing Home, New Cross.

Bakare, from Erith, fed the man his breakfast on the floor instead of hoisting him back up, the Nursing and Midwifery Council heard last Thursday. Boss Katherine Harrison was shocked when she visited the man's room more than 90 minutes later to find him still curled up on the floor with a bleeding knee, she claimed.

She told the hearing: "He was sitting on the floor on a duvet. One knee had blood on it. I asked him about it and he said he tried to get himself up and the friction had caused it.

"Just the lack of dignity and the sadness in his face, I can't get that out of my head."

The only response Mrs Harrison got from Bakare was a 'mumbling' as she carried out other duties around the home.

Patient A fell out of bed shortly before Bakare came on shift on September 6, 2006, and staff rushed to help. The 58-year-old had terminal liver disease, hepatitis C and insulin-dependent diabetes which meant he could not move himself around.

As staff were missing a vital hoist to lift the man back into bed, the job was passed on to manager Bakare who started work at 7.30am that day.

But when Mrs Harrison arrived shortly after 9.30am the patient was still on the floor. She had to prompt Bakare again to go and fetch the hoist and extra staff.

Bakare is accused of knowingly leaving patient A on the floor and failing to update his risk assessment after being asked to by a manager.

She admits knowing patient A fell off the bed but denies he was left there for up to two hours and denies her fitness to practise is impaired.

The hearing was adjourned until later this year.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bexley Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Bexley Times