Paul Gunner murder sparks licensing review for kebab shop

PUBLISHED: 09:38 10 November 2011

The scene of the murder

The scene of the murder


»A murder inquiry has sparked a licensing review for a kebab shop after police claimed it was a “magnet” for drunken revellers.

Insp Perry Wright wrote to Bexley Council asking its licensing committee to review the licence granted to the Charcoal Grill in Bexley High Street.

The review, due on Monday, November 28, comes after the killing of Paul Gunner, 32, from Slade Green.

He was punched unconscious outside the kebab shop at 1am on October 16. He was taken to hospital but died an hour later.

Insp Wright’s application for a review reads: “Bexley police have serious concerns that having such a premises open until 2am creates a magnet to intoxicated patrons leaving the nearby pubs and clubs, which has and will result in serious violence.”

Antisocial behaviour

Three men, aged 31, 32 and 25, were arrested on suspicion of murder on October 16, in relation to Mr Gunner’s death. They were bailed to return to a south London police station on Tuesday, then rebailed until mid-December.

Over the six-month period between April 20 and October 20 this year the police received 31 calls reporting antisocial behaviour in Bexley village between the hours of 9pm and 2am.

The application describes one of these incidents, reading: “On Friday, May 20, 2011, at 00:45 hours, police attended the Bexley Charcoal Grill to speak to a male suspect who had been concerned in criminal damage in a nearby bar.

“The arresting officer was held in a neck lock by the suspect, who was attempting to strangle him. CS gas was deployed and the suspect arrested.

“In interview, the suspect claimed to have consumed 10 shots of absinthe, five glasses of wine and five Jack Daniels. He was charged with [being] drunk and disorderly, assault on police and two counts of criminal damage.

“He pleaded guilty at Bexley Magistrates Courts to all these charges.

“The kebab shop has CCTV but it was unable to be viewed or seized at the time as the staff present were unable to operate the system.”

A spokesman for the takeaway was unavailable to comment.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bexley Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Bexley Times