Search

Pet's arrowing tale hailed top of the ops

PUBLISHED: 16:08 30 December 2009 | UPDATED: 17:28 25 August 2010

Lilly-Jay Watson age 7 with her dog Betty. Betty managed to swallow a child's toy arrow which was 26 cm long. The arrow was removed by at Thamesmead PDSA, Petaid hospital by veterinary Surgeon, Christopher Pollard.

Lilly-Jay Watson age 7 with her dog Betty. Betty managed to swallow a child's toy arrow which was 26 cm long. The arrow was removed by at Thamesmead PDSA, Petaid hospital by veterinary Surgeon, Christopher Pollard.

Alex MacNaughton

A PUPPY that swallowed a 10-inch arrow has made it to number four in a dramatic operations top-10 list. Staffordshire bull terrier puppy, Betty, from Swanley, received the dubious accolade from pet charity, the People s Dispensary for Sick Animals (PDSA)

A PUPPY that swallowed a 10-inch arrow has made it to number four in a dramatic operations top-10 list.

Staffordshire bull terrier puppy, Betty, from Swanley, received the dubious accolade from pet charity, the People's Dispensary for Sick Animals (PDSA).

The pup was in emergency surgery at its Thamesmead branch for over an hour in August after eating a plastic arrow that almost spanned the length of her body from her oesophagus to her small intestine.

Veterinary surgeon Chris Pollard, who operated on Betty, said: "The X-rays were surprising to say the least.

"My main concern was the length of the arrow and where it ended - in the small intestine. This could have penetrated the stomach wall and proved fatal. We had to operate immediately.

"The operation proved incredibly intricate as Betty was so young and her internal organs were still not yet fully developed."

As soon as she arrived back at the family home she tried to munch down a remote control.

Owner Emma Watson told reporters: "She doesn't appear to have learned her lesson so we're keeping a very close eye on her now to prevent anything like this from happening again."

Also in the 'top of the ops' list was a cat from Sunderland that had a cocktail stick wedged so far up her nose it nearly gave her a fatal brain injury.

Labrador puppy, Rolo, from Gillingham swallowed a fish hook. Jack, a six-month-old Labrador from Plymouth, ate an entire alphabet of fridge magnets as a midnight snack.

Ten-year-old dog Dixie, from Aberdeen, needed emergency surgery from PDSA vets to have a plastic Homer Simpson figure removed.

But the winner at number one was Patterdale terrier puppy, Darcy, from Sunderland, who survived a 45ft cliff top plunge, leaving her with broken bones in three of her legs.

PDSA staff spent hours operating on her and she made a full recovery.

The charity is bracing itself for a record number of pets to treat due to the recession and an influx of Christmas pets.

It has launched a £600,000 emergency appeal to help provide its vital free care.

To make a donation phone call 0800 731 2502 or visit www.pdsa.org.uk/xmas.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Bexley Times

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists