Promenade MURDER trial

PUBLISHED: 10:46 24 July 2008 | UPDATED: 15:04 25 August 2010

MURDERED: Kamaljit Kalon.

MURDERED: Kamaljit Kalon.

A MAN has admitted the brutal murder of a father-of-three who was knifed more than 40 times in a frenzied knife attack five years ago.

A MAN has admitted the brutal murder of a father-of-three who was knifed more than 40 times in a frenzied knife attack five years ago.

Kamaljit Kalon, 31, also known as "Bobby", from Sidcup, was stabbed to death in broad daylight in Gordon Promenade, off Commercial Place, Gravesend, on the evening of July 10, 2003.

Guljinder Singh Gurewal, 32, of no fixed address, pleaded guilty to his murder when he appeared at Maidstone Crown Court on Tuesday. Singh Gurewal had been on the run from the police for more than four years before he returned to Britain and handed himself in to the police. He was arrested and charged with murder on December 21, last year.

Detective Superintendent Anne Brittain, who led the murder inquiry, said: "This case shows how committed and relentless we are in tracking down those who commit these horrendous crimes. As of today, one man is in prison having been brought to account for his actions. The file will not close, the case will remain open until all those responsible are brought to justice."

Mr Kalon, who is from Sidcup, went to meet Singh Gurewal and another man for a pre-arranged meeting in Gravesend.

The pair held him down and stabbed him in a frenzied attack and then fled from the scene, bare-chested holding their bloodied shirts above their heads. Blood patches were later found on Edwin Street, where it is thought the attackers may have escaped. Mr Kalon was taken to Darent Valley Hospital but died just one hour after the attack.

Police carried out a thorough investigation and made a number of appeals as to the whereabouts of Gurewal and his cousin, Baljinder Singh Kooner, 33, who has still not been traced. Police believe he may have information to assist further with this inquiry. His death left behind a widow, Ravinder, to whom he had been married for just two years, and her three children from a

previous marriage.

In an emotional appeal a year after his death, she said: "Bobby was truly a wonderful man. He was devoted to his family here, his relatives in India. We cannot come to terms that he has been taken from us so cruelly."

Husband and wife Surinder, 44, and Bhupinder Lehal, 43, of Astra Drive, Gravesend, where both given a 12-month suspended sentence in 2004 for perverting the court of justice for harbouring both wanted men in their home.

Singh Gurewal and Kooner are the brother and cousin of Bhupinder Lehal. They were seen entering the couple's home, but when they were quizzed by police they denied ever having seen them.

Singh Gurewal will be sentenced on September 5.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bexley Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Bexley Times