Search

Protest against ward closure at Sidcup hospital

PUBLISHED: 11:29 28 August 2012

Queen Mary's Hospital in Sidcup

Queen Mary's Hospital in Sidcup

Archant

A health campaign group is leading a protest march to Sidcup’s Queen Mary’s Hospital today (August 30) as the site prepares to close its female-only gynaecology ward.

It starts at Somerfield’s in Sidcup High Street at 11am, heading to the hospital in Frognal Avenue.

The service will be moved to the Chislehurst ward at the hospital, which is run by South London Healthcare Trust, at a cost of 18 beds.

Fran Hook, from the Save Our Local Hospitals Campaign, said: “We do not know where these patients are going to be treated.

“This is another example of closing services at the hospital and it’s a big issue.”

A spokesman for SLHT said: “We can confirm female patients will not mix with male patients while being cared for on this ward.

“We know that all our patients want to be treated as with sensitivity and dignity while in hospital and this is always a priority for us.”

SLHT added that the move is not linked to the administration process that began last month.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bexley Times. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Bexley Times