Search

Pup's arrowing experience'

PUBLISHED: 12:27 06 August 2009 | UPDATED: 17:00 25 August 2010

Charlie Morris VN looking at the x-ray of Lilly-Jay Watson's (age 7) dog Betty. Betty managed to swallow a child's toy arrow which was 26 cm long. The arrow was removed by at Thamesmead PDSA, Petaid hospital by veterinary Surgeon, Christopher Pollard.

Charlie Morris VN looking at the x-ray of Lilly-Jay Watson's (age 7) dog Betty. Betty managed to swallow a child's toy arrow which was 26 cm long. The arrow was removed by at Thamesmead PDSA, Petaid hospital by veterinary Surgeon, Christopher Pollard.

Alex MacNaughton

A MISCHIEVIOUS puppy had a lucky escape after swallowing an arrow almost as long as herself, writes Fintan Quinn. Staffordshire bull terrier Betty had to undergo emergency surgery at Thamesmead PDSA PetAid hospital to remove the 10.5 inch plastic toy.

Lilly-Jay Watson age 7 with her dog Betty. Betty managed to swallow a child's toy arrow which was 26 cm long. The arrow was removed by at Thamesmead PDSA, Petaid hospital by veterinary Surgeon, Christopher Pollard.

A MISCHIEVIOUS puppy had a lucky escape after swallowing an arrow almost as long as herself, writes Fintan Quinn.

Staffordshire bull terrier Betty had to undergo emergency surgery at Thamesmead PDSA PetAid hospital to remove the 10.5 inch plastic toy.

Owner Emma Watson, 38, from Swanley, said Betty disappeared into her seven-year-old daughter Lilly Jay's playhouse and heard spluttering and coughing.

The dog ate and drank as normal that day but by the next morning it was clear that she was seriously ill.

Ms Watson said: "Betty started to vomit and wasn't eating or drinking, which is totally unlike her.

"Normally she is very boisterous and playful but she was very quiet and didn't want to be around anyone."

Her condition continued to deteriorate and two days later she was taken to the vet who immediately began to operate.

They knew she had swallowed something before they had even taken an x-ray because the object was so large they could feel it.

Veterinary surgeon Chris Pollard said: "The x-rays were surprising to say the least. The arrow was so long it virtually ran through Betty's body but it also explained why she was so ill.

"The main concern was the length of the arrow and where it ended - in the small intestine.

"This could have penetrated the wall of the stomach or intestine and proved fatal - we had to operate immediately.

"Considering Betty's size as a puppy, it really is amazing that she managed to swallow a 10.5 inch long arrow."

After an hour in surgery and overnight observation Betty was given the all clear and allowed to return home with her family. However like all inquisitive youngster she doesn't seemed to have learned her lesson and her owners now have to keep watch.

"As soon as she got home she tried to eat the TV remote control so we're keeping a very close eye on her now to prevent anything like this from happening again," Ms Watson said.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Bexley Times

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists