Search

“Reckless and unacceptable” threat to close Bexleyheath police station slammed as public invited to board meeting

PUBLISHED: 14:17 25 August 2017 | UPDATED: 14:17 25 August 2017

Bexleyheath police station, Arnsberg Way, Bexleyheath

Bexleyheath police station, Arnsberg Way, Bexleyheath

Archant

The mayor of London is looking to cut the police station to save money for Met Police

Residents are being urged to respond to a consultation on the proposed “reckless and unacceptable” closure of Bexleyheath police station, ahead of a public meeting next month.

Proposed in a mayor of London consultation last month, Sadiq Khan has suggested closing the station, first opened in the 1990s, and moving services including the 24/7 front counter to Marlowe House in Sidcup.

The Labour mayor hopes to raise £10million to fund frontline Met Police officers by selling the station, along with 30 others around the capital.

This week, Bexleyheath and Crayford MP David Evennett responded to a public consultation to have his say on plans, and he is urging residents to do the same.

“A move of the front counter services and the police headquarters to Sidcup would be highly inconvenient and I also believe response times in areas of my constituency would be negatively affected, including Bexleyheath, Crayford, Erith, Slade Green and Welling,” said the Tory MP.

“I urge residents to respond to the consultation and oppose the reckless and unacceptable proposals put forward by the Labour mayor of London.”

In a Bexley Times poll of more than 500 people, 91 per cent said the station should not be closed.

Announcing the proposals, Mr Khan said he had “no choice” but to take what he called “drastic action” in the face of government cuts to Met Police funding.

He added: “By freeing up officers and moving them closer to their communities, they will be able to spend more time on the beat to tackle the issues that matter most to Londoners,

Dana Wiffen, chair of Bexley Neighbourhood Watch Association, has previously raised concerns that the association could lose its base without the station.

Now he is calling for residents to attend a safer neighbourhood board meeting at Bexley council’s offices on September 7.

Mr Wiffen said: “Please come along and bring any residents from your street who want to show their support for keeping the station, front desk and neighbourhood watch open.”

A mayor of London representative will be attending the meeting.

Residents can view and respond to the consultation, which closes on October 6, here.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Bexley Times

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists