Sidcup hospital protest takes place amid another ward closure
PUBLISHED: 17:27 03 September 2012
Protestors marched through Sidcup to show their opposition to the closure of a ward at Queen Mary's Hospital.
Campaign group Save Our Local Hospitals led the protest on Thursday of last week (August 30) over the closure of Cray Ward, which had been a female only gynaecological ward.
The group’s Fran Hook said: “We were pleased with the support from the passing public and hooting cars considering the short notice with which we announced the march.
“We presented a letter to South London Healthcare Trust’s administrator Matthew Kershaw and we think we’ve been heard.”
Mrs Hook also expressed her displeasure at the reported closure of Mottingham Ward, a medical ward for the elderly.
A spokesman for the trust said: “We confirm that gynaecology patients will not mix with male patients while being cared for on these wards.
“We’re making changes to the way wards work to bring all our surgical wards together on one floor, so staff with surgical expertise can support each other in caring for our patients that have undergone surgery.”