Search

Teen denies carrying out ""90 second murder"" on Thamesmead

PUBLISHED: 11:49 22 July 2010 | UPDATED: 18:06 25 August 2010

A TEENAGER accused of the 90 second murder of a man on a housing estate told jurors he was at home with his mother at the time of the killing.

A TEENAGER accused of the '90 second' murder of a man on a housing estate told jurors he was at home with his mother at the time of the killing.

The 16 year-old boy, whom a court order bans from naming, allegedly took part in a gang attack on 22-year-old Moses Nteyoho in Thamesmead.

It is claimed he is identified on CCTV footage by his distinctive black jacket with grey hoops.

But at the Old Bailey on Tuesday the teenager claimed he had swapped clothing with a friend that night and admitted he was caught on camera with other suspects at a chicken takeaway in Woolwich, on October 30, last year.

He said: "I was talking with them about the fruit machine. I was just watching them playing on it."

The teenager said he had no idea about a plan to attack anyone and lent his jacket to a boy called 'Ibrahim' who was cold.

"Ibrahim asked me for my jacket and my hoodie. At the time I didn't think much of it. It was cold and it was a Friday night. Normally youths around my area swap jackets. It's a normal thing.

"He said he was going to bring it back to me tomorrow."

He admitted he left the shop with the other youths shortly after 8pm.

It is claimed the gang took a minicab from Herbert Road, Woolwich, to Tavy Bridge in Thamesmead.

The prosecution say they stabbed Mr Nteyoho to death and returned to the cab in the space of 90 seconds.

But the teenager denied he went in the minicab and told jurors: "I went home."

He said he arrived at around 8.30pm to 8.45pm and believed his mother was home at the time.

Asked if he was involved in the attack on Mr Nteyoho, he replied: "No definitely not."

The boy also denied being armed with any weapon that day.

Six days later he travelled to Tanzania, the court heard.

He was arrested four months later on February 24 this year when he arrived back at Heathrow Airport.

Mr Nteyoho, who lived in Chalcombe Road, Abbey Wood, is thought to have been an innocent victim who was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Four teenagers, three aged 17 and one 16, all deny murder and cannot be identified because of their ages.

The trial continues.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bexley Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Bexley Times