Search

Thamesmead flat fire caused by iron

PUBLISHED: 12:52 26 July 2012

An iron which was not turned off caused a fire in Thamesmead.

It happened in a third floor block of flats in Defence Close in the early hours of Thursday (July 26) morning. The appliance set fire to some nearby clothing to start the blaze.

Firefighters brought it under control quickly but there was extensive smoke damage to the property.

Plumstead’s watch manager Ian Murray attended the scene. He said: “Leaving an electrical appliance on when you leave home can be incredibly dangerous. Thankfully, no one was hurt but it shows how quickly a fire can develop.

“You should always check you’ve switched off your appliances - particularly those that get hot - before you leave the house.”

Four engines attended the scene from Plumstead, Woolwich and Erith stations. The brigade were called at 12.41am and it was under control by 1.20.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bexley Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Bexley Times