Top-10 home grown vegetables for the city
PUBLISHED: 15:41 12 August 2009 | UPDATED: 17:02 25 August 2010
1. Herbs: Even if you only have a window-sill you can grow herbs in pots.
1. Herbs: Even if you only have a window-sill you can grow herbs in pots. They're mostly easy to tend and cost a fraction of the exorbitant amounts you pay in the supermarket.
2. Potatoes: The received wisdom used to be that you needed a big open plot for these - but they do well in containers too.
3. Carrots: These are very easy and can be grown happily in pots.
4. Radishes: These are really easy and produce very rapid results from seed.
5. Tomatoes: Grow-bags make tomato growing very easy - even if the bags are a little ugly. You can even grow tomatoes in hanging baskets if you get the tumbling variety.
6. Lettuce: Try Little Gems or mixed salad leaves. Again if growing from seeds. phase the sowing so you can get a continuous supply over the summer months.
7. Courgettes: Grown from seed these are easy to sow as the seeds germinate very quickly.
8. Dwarf runner beans: Compact varieties grow well in pots.
9. Rocket: Fast and easy to grow and lovely nutty taste to mix in with salads.
10. Peppers: You can grow chillies or sweet peppers in pots.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bexley Times. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.