Top-10 home grown vegetables for the city
PUBLISHED: 15:41 12 August 2009 | UPDATED: 17:02 25 August 2010
1. Herbs: Even if you only have a window-sill you can grow herbs in pots.
1. Herbs: Even if you only have a window-sill you can grow herbs in pots. They're mostly easy to tend and cost a fraction of the exorbitant amounts you pay in the supermarket.
2. Potatoes: The received wisdom used to be that you needed a big open plot for these - but they do well in containers too.
3. Carrots: These are very easy and can be grown happily in pots.
4. Radishes: These are really easy and produce very rapid results from seed.
5. Tomatoes: Grow-bags make tomato growing very easy - even if the bags are a little ugly. You can even grow tomatoes in hanging baskets if you get the tumbling variety.
6. Lettuce: Try Little Gems or mixed salad leaves. Again if growing from seeds. phase the sowing so you can get a continuous supply over the summer months.
7. Courgettes: Grown from seed these are easy to sow as the seeds germinate very quickly.
8. Dwarf runner beans: Compact varieties grow well in pots.
9. Rocket: Fast and easy to grow and lovely nutty taste to mix in with salads.
10. Peppers: You can grow chillies or sweet peppers in pots.