Torturer to wait in jail for appeal

PUBLISHED: 11:13 04 March 2010 | UPDATED: 17:38 25 August 2010

A MAN jailed after being found guilty of involvement in the violent kidnap and torture of two brothers has failed to win bail whilst he appeals

A MAN jailed after being found guilty of involvement in the violent kidnap and torture of two brothers has failed to win bail whilst he appeals against his conviction.

Ranjit Gojra, 37, of Bedonwell Road, Belvedere, was put behind bars for seven years for a string of terrifying offences against Haq and Mohammed Nawaz.

A humiliating attack in April 2007 was headed up by property investor, Sanjeev Dhir, of Lake Avenue, Rainham, who wanted revenge after a business deal with the brothers turned sour.

Gojra was convicted of two counts of kidnap, two of false imprisonment and two of assault occasioning actual bodily harm and was jailed at Snaresbrook Crown Court last year.

Dhir was also put behind bars for seven years.

Gojra has now been granted leave to appeal against his convictions - but Mr Justice Davis, sitting at the Criminal Appeal Court, refused to free him on bail last Friday in advance of the hearing.

Orlando Pownall QC, representing Gojra, told the judge that no date had been set for the hearing of the appeal and that Gojra could have a long time to wait.

He said Gojra's wife was facing financial difficulties and was having to sell her home, and that if Gojra were freed he could work and support his family.

He had been on bail prior to his trial and had attended all court dates and appointments.

It was the prosecution case that Dhir and Gojra tied the brothers to chairs at the property investor's Stoke Newington offices and subjected them to a series of horrific attacks.

Mohammed was hooded, stripped of his trousers and doused in alcohol in order to insult the teetotal Muslim.

A blowtorch was also held to his face and he was struck across the legs with a hammer.

He was also whipped in the groin with a length of rope and had his head flushed down a toilet.

Haq was also hooded and stripped, and had a liquid poured over his head.

The pair were then bundled into a van and driven along the M1 and M25 motorways via Heathrow and Chertsey, Surrey.

They were eventually dumped in Chelsea, bruised, with ripped clothes and no shoes.

Giving his judgement on the bail application, Mr Justice Davis said: "I cannot think that this is a case of sufficient exceptionality to warrant my granting bail.

"I will see if this matter [the conviction appeal] can come on as expeditiously as possible."

No details were given of Gojra's grounds for appeal.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bexley Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Bexley Times