Tots die in flat blaze
PUBLISHED: 15:47 29 October 2008 | UPDATED: 15:35 25 August 2010
NEIGHBOURS reeling from a tragic fire that claimed the lives of two children have paid tribute to the lively and bubbly tots.
NEIGHBOURS reeling from a tragic fire that claimed the lives of two children have paid tribute to the 'lively and bubbly' tots.
A five-year-old-girl and three-year-old boy died after their upper floor flat in Clive Road, Belvedere caught fire in the early hours of Monday morning.
At approximately 2.50am the children and their mother were taken to Queen Elizabeth's Hospital, Woolwich, where soon after arriving the little girl died.
The little boy died the day after, the same day police confirmed they were no longer treating the fire as suspicious.
At the time of going to press, the mother who is in her 20s, remained in a critical condition.
A neighbour who lives just doors away said she was finding the news 'hard to deal with'.
She said: "The girl was beautiful with her dark hair. They were pretty children, lively and bubbly."
A full-time-mum of a 14-month-old boy used to take her child to the same park as the family.
She said: "They were typical children - full of energy."
A neighbour who was leaving flowers at the scene said: "They were a lovely family. The little girl was lively and bubbly.
"I was absolutely devastated when I found out."
Residents on the hilly road were woken up by police on Monday morning knocking on their doors asking if they knew the family.
The fire crew from Erith fire station put the fire out in just under an hour finishing at 3.33am. An inquest date for both children had not been set at the time of going to press.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bexley Times. Click the link in the orange box below for details.