Trio deny neck slash murder

PUBLISHED: 10:26 30 April 2009 | UPDATED: 16:36 25 August 2010

A clubber told how he was knocked to the ground as a drunken brawl broke out which ended with the death of a father.

A clubber told how he was knocked to the ground as a drunken brawl broke out which ended with the death of a father.

Harry Wilson told the Old Bailey last Thursday he was sprawled on a zebra crossing as violence broke out, outside TJs nightclub in Woolwich New Road, Woolwich.

This was just yards away from where Barry Hammond, 27, of Walmer Terrace, Plumstead, lay bleeding to death after his neck was slashed with a bottle, in the early hours of April 28 last year.

After the court watched CCTV footage of the fracas, Mr Wilson said: "There was an argument inside the club a couple of hours before.

"I was just walking outside and I was knocked to the ground and that was it. That's all I can remember.

"Barry had nothing to do with that. One hundred per cent. I can't remember nothing more."

Mr Hammond was murdered after his friends got into a fight with a rival group outside the nightclub, it is claimed.

CCTV captured part of the mass scuffle but did not record the fatal blow.

Mr Hammond collapsed with blood spurting from the wound.

A post mortem revealed the artery had been sliced in two places and a shard of glass was found in the wound.

It is claimed Pepe Beaumont, 21, of Calestock Way, Greenwich, Joseph 'Danny' Wright, 24, of Fennel Street, Woolwich and Kerdon Wright, 22, of Spearman Street, Woolwich, all took part in the attack on the victim.

They all deny murder.

It is claimed Joseph Wright, who is not related to Kerdon Wright, was hurling bottles during the brawl and was seen with the other two just before the attack on Mr Hammond.

Kerdon Wright and Joseph Wright also deny violent disorder.

Prosecutor Peter Clarke QC told the court that as the groups squared up, Beaumont, was heard to shout out "Ding Ding, Round One".

He said: "He was attacked from behind and to the left side in a stabbing motion which was drawn across th e neck, almost certainly involving a sweeping action and a deep incision."

The trial continues.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bexley Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Bexley Times