Search

‘Unattended brazier’ thought to be cause of Bexley High Street fire

PUBLISHED: 10:48 30 August 2017 | UPDATED: 10:49 30 August 2017

Firefighters

Firefighters

sanchairat

Fire broke out at around 10pm on Tuesday

Fire crews believe an unattended fire burning too close to boxes filled with wood may be the cause of a fire in Bexley on Tuesday night.

More than 20 firefighters were called to a timber yard in Bexley High Street at around 10pm.

A spokesperson from London Fire Brigade confirmed: “Two plastic crates containing wooden off cuts were damaged by fire. Part of the eaves of a neighbouring building, part of the company’s van, part of a timber store and waste sawdust also sustained minor fire damage.

“The cause of the fire is believed to be due to an unattended brazier left too close to the plastic crates.”

Having been called at 10.01pm, firefighters from Bexley, Sidcup, Eltham and Plumstead fire stations all attended the scene.

By 10.50pm the blaze had been brought under control.

Bexley Hardwoods, where the fire started, declined to comment on the incident.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bexley Times. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Bexley Times