UPDATE: IPCC launch investigation into death of man handcuffed by police in Welling High Street
PUBLISHED: 12:10 08 March 2017 | UPDATED: 13:19 08 March 2017
The incident happened in the early hours of Thursday, February 23
The death of a man handcuffed by police in Welling is being investigated by the police complaints commission.
It follows an incident last month, when patrol officers in Welling High Street found a man, believed to be in his 40s, collapsed in the street.
Following the death, a Met Police spokesperson said: “Whilst officers were attempting to assist the man he began to act aggressively - officers placed him in handcuffs.
“The man then became unconscious.”
London Amublance Service paramedics were called to the scene and the man was taken to a south London hospital, where he later died.
The man’s next of kin have been informed.
Following the death, the Directorate of Professional Standards and the Independent Police Complaints were called, as part of police procedure.
On Wednesday, nearly two weeks after the incident had been referred, the IPCC announced it will be carrying out an independent investigation into the death.
IPCC associate commissioner Tom Milsom said: “This is a tragic event where a man has lost his life. We are appealing for any witnesses to the incident to come forward to assist with our investigation.”
Bexley borough commander chief superintendent Stuart Bell added: “I am aware that this tragic event has been passed to the IPCC to investigate.
“I fully support this decision and trust that it will allow the facts of this case to be determined as quickly as possible.
“We are assisting this investigation in every way we can. Our thoughts are with all those affected by this sad occurrence.”
“Anyone with information should email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0800 096 9070.”
Did you know this man? Get in touch with our newsdesk to leave your tributes via email@example.com or 01233 653479.